Friday, June 20, 2008

MIA

My grandma of 92 years died last Thursday, June 12. James and left on Friday and went to the funeral on Monday and flew home that night. That is why I wasn't at Bible study on Monday or at the ArtWalk on Friday. It was a whirlwind. Laura -- I think you showed a lot of wisdom with your visit with your Grandma. Cherish the time you have left with her. I really miss both Grandma and Grandad -- Grandma lived 8 months after Grandad's death. I know Grandma was a believer which makes this easier.

So, the money thing has been a little stressful. I'm trying to make this happen on my monthly paycheck and not having to dip into savings...with James not getting his summer pay, I've covering his expenses. It is definitely challenging to send that $$ towards my tithe. I've moved so much that I've always given my tithe to the Christian organziation I attended when I was an undergrad (CCH). To meet my 10%, I'm adding ABF to the list and setting $$ aside for what we decide to give to as a bible study. I've sent the check to CCH and will give the rest this Sunday at church. I've heard stories of people who've been faitful with giving away money and God intervenes such that the money is never missed. I think he'll do the same for James and I. I just have to relax and trust...

Regarding time. I've done a decent job spending time at night reading Christian books. I'm reading the chapters I missed in DWYL and Surprised by Hope by NT Wright.

I was reading Ch. 5 of DWYL and got really discouraged last night. Piper is giving these crazy examples of the sacrifices so we don't get stuck in a "comfort zone". Putting ourselves in situations for where we may have little food, little sleep etc for the cause of Christ overwhelmed me. For one thing, having my degree in nutrition, whenever I think about not having enough food, my mind starts thinking about how the body is responding metabolically. I often think I would do better if I didn't know what my body was doing. Lack of sleep...I've always needed 8 hours. I can barely function on 6 hours. I guess that is part of my challenge with time...maybe I need to examine the time spend reading silly stuff on the internet.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Mary Dean,

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Though I'm thankful, as you are, that she was a believer. I'll be praying for you and your family.

Kelly said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Mary Dean. I do hope you can find time to retreat and take care of yourself.

As for the money issue, just a small encouragement for you. A few months ago I was completely broke, although I had been spending my money wisely (ah, the life of a grad student). I didn't tell anyone about my financial hardship because I didn't want to become dependent on others.

My rent was due that day or I would recieve fines. I just kept praying. When I checked the mail, I recieved an enevelope from my undergraduate college (a wonderful, godly place). It was a check for just over the amount of my rent. And it wasn't like a payroll check or something like that; it was one of the special checks that must be approved of and signed by the President of the college, himself...

God always knows what we need.