Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Family Time

Hey guys! So I must say I really missed ya'll this week. So neat to know how close we've all become over the past couple months. Anyway, I just wanted to write a bit about our family trip to see my grandma for her birthday. My dad's side up north is a mix of people, some of whom aren't Christians. Been praying for my grandma for forever, and maybe she's a Christian, but I'm not sure. It's hard to say, talked to her a little bit about it before but she's really personal about things, religion included and doesn't bring it up. My dad's brother and his family are Jewish by heritage, but I'm not sure how much of the Torah they actually believe. And my dad's sister is really into many different types of religion, meditation, those kinds of things. Anyway, going up there is always a bit of a battle because you feel really drained after going up. I was having a hard time going up with a good attitude because it is frustrating sometimes feeling frustrated a lot. Not really sure how to describe it. Prayed a lot before and during the trip, and I learned a lot about listening. Being with my grandma, just listening to her talk about things that were important really showed me how time is such a gift. I didn't feel called to talk to her about God, but I just tried to listen and show her we cared by just being there with her. Being present in conversations, asking questions, body language that demonstrates that you are glad to be there. We went to her apartment and sat with her for a while, looking at pictures, listening to old gossip...then we went out to dinner and had the waiters sing to her- that was really funny. I think I want to ask her what she thinks about God, I feel a little like I should have done that, but I feel like that would be a good conversation when it's just her and me. Maybe over the phone? Anyway, I think I want to show people I care more by just going over and listening. Time is one of the best gifts you can give. And praying for intentional, uplifting conversations where you don't always feel responsible for speaking on and on about something. Sometimes it's okay to just be. Hope everyone is doing well. Can't wait to see you guys Sunday! Kelly, we'll miss you on Mondays, but I understand you needing to take time. Know we love you!!!!!! :-)

No comments: